Office Of The Biblical Apostolate
Dei Verbum Ghana
An intensive 40 days course in Biblical Pastoral Ministry
The SVD Bible Apostolate is aimed at promoting the Word of God among the faithful in the parishes. It is coordinated by a confrere who organises programmes for parish groups and societies to create the awareness of the importance of the bible in the life of the christian. The Ghana Province organizes DEI VERBUM Course periodically for Ministers of the Word of God in Sacred Scripture and for Formators in the Biblical Apostolate and Biblical-Pastoral Ministry.The course is based on the directives of Vatican II concerning Sacred Scripture in the life of the Church, especially the Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation DEI VERBUM (DV), Chapter VI in particular. There are three major areas of concentration:
· The interiorization of the Word of God
This is a basic prerequisite for ministers of the Word „lest any of them become an ‘empty
preacher of the Word of God outwardly, who is not a listener to it inwardly’” (DV 25).
· The communication of the Word of God
The ultimate goal of the course is “that as many ministers of the Divine Word as possible will be able effectively to provide the nourishment of the Scriptures for the People of God” (DV 23).
· The study of Scripture for better understanding.
Though the course is not an exegetical one strictly speaking, the importance of biblical scholarship and the concern “to move ahead daily toward a deeper understanding of the Sacred Scriptures” (DV 23) are clearly seen and instilled upon the participants.
Criteria for participation
- A good command of English.
- A willingness to contribute constructively to the course.
- Some previous involvement in Biblical Ministry is preferred. It is expected that participation in this course will lead to future involvement in Biblical Pastoral Ministry.
- The course is open to Priests, religious and the laity.
- Those younger than 55 will have preference.
- A recommendation from a Bishop, Parish Priest, or Religious Superior is required.
Course fee for the 40 days residential course: 450.00 Ghana Cedis
The number of course participants is limited to 30 people. Application Forms are available at SVD Guest House Accra, the Catholic Book Centre Accra, and NCS office of the Laity
Address your application to:
Rev. Br. McDaniel Acquaah SVD
(BPM Coordinator SVD, Ghana Province)
Divine Word Missionaries
P. O. Box GP 3285 Accra
Note: Successful applicants will receive a letter of acceptance
and will be contacted by phone or e-mail.